Dogs and cats are primarily carnivorous animals, meat being the basis of their diet. Although fruits and vegetables can be added to their food in small amounts, doctors have warned of some foods that may be deadly and toxic to dogs and cats. Discover which ones.
Toxic fruits for dogs and cats :
Some fruits are banned from the diet of dogs and cats, as:
- Grapes and raisins: Grapes and raisins are dangerous foods, because they cause the dog and the cat rapid kidney failure, the emergence of symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea, and lead to lack of appetite.
- Citrus fruits: lemon, lime, grapefruit or orange are not recommended because of their high sugar content.
- Avocado: Avocado tree parts are toxic to animals Avocado is rich in fat and plant toxins, eating avocado can cause poisoning in the body and skin.
- Nuclei and seeds: apples, peaches, apricots, plums, cherries, lychees… The nucleus if swallowed by the dog causes a blockage in the intestine and it can be even mortal.
- Cherry: contains cyanide, highly toxic.
Dangerous vegetables for dogs and cats :
Vegetables that represent a real danger, especially if they are consumed to excess:
- Onion and garlic: Symptoms appear after eating on the third or fourth day… as the onion damages the red blood cells, makes the dogs weak, reduces their movement and may need a blood transfusion.
- Rhubarb: rich in oxalic acid, this vegetable causes nervous and cardiac disorders.
- The potato: raw, it causes severe digestive disorders because it digests badly, like sweet potato.
- Cabbages and turnips: cause severe gas and diarrhea.
- Corn: Corn is a dangerous food, as it may cause blockage in the intestines, and may lead to very serious problems.
- Beet: also contains oxalate salts, real poisons for animals.